Thursday, February 17, 2011

Santo's replacement

I think I'll do these in two separate posts.

The Cubs announced that Keith Moreland would take Ron Santo's spot as analyst for WGN radio broadcasts of team games.

I was sort of pulling for Dave Otto; I like his low key style and I find his analysis fairly insightful. I've heard Moreland a few times and I think he did a pretty good job, so I can certainly live with him.

Moreland played right field on that 1984 Cubs team that almost went to the World Series. (We Cubs fans have to put up with an awful lot of "almost's"...) He was a good hitter, not as good in the field, as was noted in a line in the great Steve Goodman song "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request": "Watch Keith Moreland drop a routine fly ball..."
But he was a fan favorite, and a colorful personality.

Looking forward to hearing how he does with Pat Hughes.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment