Thursday, March 29, 2012

Wells not good enough?

The Cubs announced that Randy Wells didn't make their starting rotation, and they shipped him to the minors since he has one option left.

I hope this says good things about the rotation, because I liked Wells. I thought he was a pretty solid starter in his time here. Last year he was hurt, and when he came back he looked like he needed some time to get back into the swing of things, but once he did, again I thought he was maybe their best, most consistent starter toward the end of the year.

Could it mean that they're going to actively try to deal Garza this year? It would seen to me that Wells would have some value to other teams looking for starters, and could have been dealt, but the fact that they've kept him - well, could it mean something more? Could he be in reserve for a potential deal of Garza? (I doubt that they could move Dempster if they tried but who knows? Maybe he'll go...)

Anyway, the Cubs' starting rotation looks to be Garza, Dempster, Volstad, Samarzidja, and someone not named Randy Wells or Rodrigo Lopez. (I can't come up with that fifth guy's name at the moment...) Keeping my fingers crossed...

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment