Monday, February 15, 2010

Black Hawk Talk...

I have to admit that I don't know much about hockey. The Black Hawks have been so irrelevant in Chicago that I lost interest.

But that isn't really much of an excuse either. The truth is, I lost interest a long time ago. I got interested in college basketball, then both college and pro basketball, then concentrated on the Bulls as they got good in the early nineties thanks to a certain guy with the initials M.J. A lot of my friends were big football fans, and when the Bears won the Super Bowl in 1985, I started following them more. And of course, there was always baseball, and the Cubs.

I used to watch hockey in my youth, when it was Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita, Cliff Korral (sp?) and Keith Magnussen and Tony Esposito. I was dimly aware of the team when they had Jeremy Roenicke and Eddie Balfour, but I didn't follow the sport closely.

But guess what? We're back to having a Hawks team where I know a bunch of names! Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp and Marion Hossa, Antty Niemi (sp?) and Troy Brouer and Dave Bolland, those are names I hear often on Chicago sports chat, and I recognize immediately now.

Maybe these guys are relevant again. They are certainly GOOD. That's good to see.

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment